Generic Name and Formulations:
Bromfenac 0.07%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride, sulfites.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for PROLENSA:
Post-operative inflammation and reduction of ocular pain following cataract surgery.
≥18yrs: 1 drop into the affected eye once daily beginning 1 day prior to surgery, continued on the day of surgery, and through the first 14 days post-op. May be given with other topical ophthalmics (eg, alpha-agonists, beta-blockers, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, cycloplegics, mydriatics); administer at least 5 mins apart.
<18yrs: not established.
Sulfite sensitivity. Asthma. May slow or delay wound healing. Bleeding tendencies. Corneal defects/denervation. Ocular surface diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis. Diabetes. Monitor cornea; discontinue if corneal epithelial breakdown occurs. Risk of corneal adverse events may be increased if used >24hrs before surgery, or beyond 14-days post-op. Contact lenses (remove prior to therapy). Pregnancy (avoid during late pregnancy). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant topical corticosteroids may potentiate healing problems. Caution with concomitant drugs that prolong bleeding time.
Anterior chamber inflammation, foreign body sensation, eye pain, photophobia, blurred vision; keratitis, corneal reactions (eg, epithelial breakdown, thinning, erosion, ulceration/perforation).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation