Generic Name and Formulations:
Probenecid 500mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Probenecid:
Hyperuricemia associated with gout and gouty arthritis.
250mg twice daily for 1 week, then 500mg twice daily thereafter. Renal impairment, dose adjustments: see literature.
Acute gouty attack. Blood dyscrasias. Uric acid kidney stones. Children <2 yrs of age. Concomitant salicylates (antagonizes uricosuric effect).
History of peptic ulcer. Renal insufficiency. G6PD deficiency. Maintain adequate hydration. Alkalization of urine may be required. Pregnancy.
Affects renal clearance of many drugs (esp. penicillins). Potentiates methotrexate (monitor and reduce methotrexate dose). May potentiate thiopental, ketamine, NSAIDs, oral sulfonylureas, acetaminophen, lorazepam, rifampin, other sulfonamides. Pyrazinamide antagonizes uricosuric effect. May cause falsely high readings of theophylline levels.
Headache, dizziness, GI upset, urinary frequency, sore gums, uric acid kidney stones, dermatitis, fever, hematuria, renal colic, blood dyscrasias, hemolytic anemia; rare: severe allergic reactions, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Benemid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users