The culture of bullying — widespread across the medical field — has been linked to poorer patient outcomes. So why can't physicians stop bullying in its tracks?
Negative affect that lingers is associated with worse physical health outcomes almost 10 years later.
Four recommendations for action have been developed for improving mental health in the workplace.
The FDA Digital Health Software Precertification Program represents a feasible solution to regulate software classified as a medical device.
Malpractice liability reform would best be analyzed on a specialty-by-specialty basis.
Shared decision making was assessed by a blinded coder based on clinical records, patient perception and quality of care, and clinician perspective.
Prescription opioid decline in the Veterans Health Administration due to decrease in long-term use.
Female researchers still face challenges when publishing research.
As part of blueprint, task force developing strategies that can be adopted by any institution/practice.
U.S. has higher administrative and pharmaceutical costs than 10 other high-income countries
Personal health information and personally identifiable information was found in the recycling of 5 Canadian hospitals.
The burdens associated with prior authorization are high, and have a negative impact on clinical outcomes.
The majority of patients do not have a problem with their clinicians asking them about their sexual orientation.
Physicians continue to be challeneged in protecting their practice finances while also helping patients with no insurance.
"Structural violence" encompasses a number of harmful social policies, specifically denial of healthcare.
Many medical schools provide both paternity and maternity leave in the United States.
With the launch of Uber Health, Uber has joined the healthcare industry.
Technologic advances are increasing which means the creation of a new specialty, the medical virtualist, could be effective for healthcare challenges.
Digital health innovations are contributing to the expansion of medical care in rural and low-income areas.
This article discusses the issue of physician suicide trends, then and now.
Many veterans are not accessing mental health care within or outside the Veterans Affairs health system.
Prior authorizations and diagnostic imaging continue to be a frustration in the practice of medicine.
These proposals represent 5 key discrepancies between current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition, coding and language and what the Steering Committee believes the coding and language should be amended to.
Physicians should counsel patients about firearms in their homes, especially when there is the potential for harm.
"Compassion fatigue" is understood to affect workers across the spectrum of helping professions, and to be extremely prevalent among physicians.
According to the report, total spending per person is growing at a faster rate than in previous years, with growth of 4.6% in 2016 compared with 4.1% in 2015 and sub-3% growth from 2012 to 2014.
The NHS recommends that professionals ask their patients about their sexual orientation, although there is disagreement about this recommendation.
Aetna will gain data on pharmaceutical usage patterns that will enable the company to carefully parse the insurance risks it takes on.
Seven online tools and mobile apps were recommended in order to help healthcare workers reduce stress, burnout, depression, and suicidal behaviors.
EHRs can improve healthcare, however research suggests that the burgeoning number of tasks required by the EHR can compromise patient encounters.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Personality Functioning Associated With Global Functioning in Bipolar Disorder I
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Childhood Insulin Resistance Associated With Later Psychosis
- Lamotrigine Similar to Placebo in Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
- Glucocorticoids May Increase Risk of Developing Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder
- Predictors, Incidence of Long-term Use of Benzodiazepines, Z-Drugs in Bipolar Disorder
- Cardiometabolic Dysregulation Associated With Cognitive Decline Mediated by Depression