post-traumatic stress disorder
After viewing traumatic videos, people who played Tetris experienced fewer intrusive memories than those who didn't play the video game.
While PTSD is thought by many to primarily impact men, rates are twice as high in women as men.
Danish study of more than 4,000 people finds PTSD is not a risk factor for developing nearly all types of cancer examined.
A substance in turmeric powder may help reduce brain damage from Alzheimer's disease and ease fearful memories in PTSD.
Looking at both the social and neurological aspects of mental illness may be a better approach for research and treatment.
Veterans who have both PTSD and traumatic brain injury have worse outcomes than those who have just one condition.
Women with multiple symptoms of PTSD more than twice as likely to get addicted to food compared to women with no trauma history.
Ketamine led to significant and rapid decline in severity of symptoms.
Integrated, evidence-based treatments for both PTSD and substance-use disorder are an area of unmet need.
Pregnant women with post-traumatic stress diosrders and major depressive disorder where four times more likely to deliver preterm.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed