Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
This initial evidence points toward sex differences among adolescents experiencing PTSD symptoms, both in network connectivity and symptom centrality.
Cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety-related disorders was associated with improvements in suicide ideation rather than exacerbation.
Exposure Therapy Administered by Nonspecialty Healthcare Workers Effective in Treating Adolescent PTSDAugust 16, 2018
Participants in the prolonged exposure therapy arm experienced greater improvements in PTSD symptom severity from baseline to post-treatment than those receiving supportive counseling.
Meditation techniques have an ever-growing evidence base to support their use and have become increasingly accepted in Western medicine as helpful adjuncts to other therapies.
World Trade Center-related PTSD is a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke among workers involved in cleaning up the debris.
Based on their findings, researchers noted the importance of follow-up assessment of suicide risk, even among soldiers with low PTSD symptoms at homecoming.
These data suggest that psychotherapy is underutilized as treatment in youths with PTSD, and that much of this population does not receive any form of care.
Results from this study show that virtual reality exposure therapy improved posttraumatic stress disorders symptoms, had no adverse events, and maintained improvements for 6 months post treatment.
The results demonstrated that the proposed revision was less likely to identify patients with mild to moderate post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms who might still require treatment.
Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms may be associated with higher levels of acute pain and pain interference in low-income inner city women.
Rheuatology Advisor speaks with a psychologist about addressing mental health in patients with inflammatory arthritis.
As a result of 6 phase 2 trials, the FDA has designated MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD as breakthrough therapy.
These data may be useful in developing care strategies for mothers suffering from stress exposure and in predicting the temperaments of their children.
A number of factors including chronic pain co-occurring with posttraumatic stress disorder and pain interference may predict suicidal ideation and violent impulses in US veterans with chronic pain.
Significant reductions in all symptom scores after intervention in military personnel.
In patients with nocturnal symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), prazosin did not significantly reduce nightmares or improve quality of sleep compared with placebo at 10 or 26 weeks.
For pediatric patients with chronic pain, PTSD symptoms may be linked with higher levels of pain intensity.
Cognitive processing therapy was directly compared with written exposure therapy for individuals with PTSD.
Mean reductions in Clinician-Administered PTSD Scale scores from baseline were significantly greater in the propranolol group compared with the placebo group.
Individuals with chronic pain and PTSD have poor pain-related outcomes.
Prolonged exposure therapy was associated with a greater reduction in PTSD symptom severity compared with a minimal-contact control.
Catatstrophic thinking about pain in children may mediate the relationship between chronic pain and PTSD.
In the military trauma setting, ketamine administration is not linked with PTSD.
Researchers examined whether the risk of relapse or time to relapse was related to type of anxiety disorder, duration of previous treatment, and other factors.
The FDA has granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation to MDMA for treating PTSD.
Pregnant women with migraine are more likely to have PTSD.
In patients with eating disorders, rTMS of the DMPFC seems to be beneficial for treating PTSD.
Elderly veterans with PTSD and dementia have increased odds of being prescribed SGAs compared with those with PTSD alone.
Utilizing CPAP is thought to promote consolidation of emotional memory, which may assist in recovery from traumatic events.
DCS shows a small augmentation effect on exposure-based therapy.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- High Risk for Anxiety, Depression, and Stress Observed Among Single Mothers
- Self-Harm, Suicidality Among Adolescents Associated With Poor Outcomes, Recurrent Clinical Care
- Moderate Association Between Sociocognitive Functioning and Thought Disorder in Schizophrenia
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- Schizophrenia Polygenetic Risk Score as a Predictor of Bipolar Disorder With Psychosis