These data may be helpful in developing targeted interventions for women at risk for postpartum depression.
Investigators assessed whether depressive symptoms during and after pregnancy were associated with neurodevelopmental disadvantages in children.
Many factors may be associated with the development of postpartum depression such as gestational age, BMI, Apgar scores, mode of delivery, and exposure to anesthesia.
Fathers face a higher risk of postpartum depression if testosterone levels drop 9 months after the baby is born.
The rapidity of symptom remission (within 24 hours) and its efficacy are exciting developments in finding a novel treatment for PPD.
Physical activity is a safe and effective strategy for preventing depressive symptoms in pregnant and postpartum women.
Both postpartum and prenatal depression are among the most significant contributors to maternal morbidity and mortality.
Despite being one of the most commonly used drugs little research has been conducted on oxytocin's affects.
Sleep duration was significantly longer and there was less sleep disruption for pregnant women in the sleep enhancement training group compared with that of women in control groups.
The First Baby Study at Penn State College of Medicine includes more than 3 000 women in Pennsylvania having their first baby.
Oxytocin levels predicted the severity of postpartum depression symptoms among women with a history of depression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation of Prefrontal Cortex in Trait Anxiety
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- Updated Intimate Partner Violence Screening Recommendations for Women
- Patient-Rated Insight Lower Than Clinician-Rated Insight in Schizophrenia
- Multisector Goal Alignment May Curb Medicare Expenditures
- Testosterone Treatment Reduces Symptoms of Depression in Men
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents