Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxytocin 10Units/mL; IV or IM inj.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for PITOCIN:
Initiation or improvement of uterine contractions in vaginal delivery. Adjunct in abortion. Control of postpartum bleeding.
Induction of labor: individualize. Initially 0.5–1milliunit/minute (see literature); adjust by 1–2 milliunits/minute at 30–60 minute intervals. Usual max at term: 9–10 milliunits/minute. Bleeding: IV, see literature. IM: 10Units after delivery of placenta. Abortion: see literature.
In anteparum use: Cephalopelvic disproportion. Unfavorable fetal position. When surgical intervention necessary. Fetal distress if labor is not imminent. Unsatisfactory progress in presence of adequate uterine activity. Hyperactive or hypertonic uterus. Invasive cervical carcinoma, active herpes genitalis, total placenta previa, vasa previa, cord presentation or prolapse or other cases where vaginal delivery is contraindicated or if predisposition for uterine rupture exists.
Not for elective induction of labor.
Use only in presence of qualified personnel. Monitor intrauterine pressure, fetal heart rate, maternal blood pressure.
Avoid use within 4 hours of prophylactic vasoconstriction with caudal block anesthesia. Avoid cyclopropane anesthetics.
Maternal: anaphylaxis, postpartum or subarachnoid hemorrhage, arrhythmias, fatal afibrinogenemia, nausea, vomiting, premature ventricular contraction, pelvic hematoma, water intoxication, hypersensitivity resulting in uterine hypertonicity, spasm, tetany, or rupture. Fetal: bradycardia, arrhythmias, CNS damage, seizure, low Apgar scores, jaundice, retinal hemorrhage, death.
Single-dose vial (1mL)—25; Multi-dose vial (10mL)—1, 25
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases