Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxytocin 10Units/mL; IV or IM inj.
Indications for PITOCIN:
Initiation or improvement of uterine contractions in vaginal delivery. Adjunct in abortion. Control of postpartum bleeding.
Induction of labor: individualize. Initially 0.5–1milliunit/minute (see literature); adjust by 1–2 milliunits/minute at 30–60 minute intervals. Usual max at term: 9–10 milliunits/minute. Bleeding: IV, see literature. IM: 10Units after delivery of placenta. Abortion: see literature.
In anteparum use: Cephalopelvic disproportion. Unfavorable fetal position. When surgical intervention necessary. Fetal distress if labor is not imminent. Unsatisfactory progress in presence of adequate uterine activity. Hyperactive or hypertonic uterus. Invasive cervical carcinoma, active herpes genitalis, total placenta previa, vasa previa, cord presentation or prolapse or other cases where vaginal delivery is contraindicated or if predisposition for uterine rupture exists.
Use only in presence of qualified personnel. Monitor intrauterine pressure, fetal heart rate, maternal blood pressure.
Avoid use within 4 hours of prophylactic vasoconstriction with caudal block anesthesia. Avoid cyclopropane anesthetics.
Maternal: anaphylaxis, postpartum or subarachnoid hemorrhage, arrhythmias, fatal afibrinogenemia, nausea, vomiting, premature ventricular contraction, pelvic hematoma, water intoxication, hypersensitivity resulting in uterine hypertonicity, spasm, tetany, or rupture. Fetal: bradycardia, arrhythmias, CNS damage, seizure, low Apgar scores, jaundice, retinal hemorrhage, death.
Single-dose vial (1mL)—25
Multi-dose vial (10mL)—1, 25
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders