A chart outlining the pharmacokinetics of atypical antipsychotics, including information on bioavailability, half-life and CYP 450 metabolism.
A chart with daily dose thresholds for antipsychotic medications.
The ability to track ingestion of medications prescribed for mental illness may be useful for some patients.
Clinical differences may exist between the pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments commonly used for the management of ADHD.
Early adherence is an especially problematic, significant and modifiable barrier to quality care for depression.
A chart outlining pharmacotherapies for ADHD, including information on form, strength, maximum dosages and administration.
Anxiolytic medications daily dose threshold chart.
Sedative-hypnotic medications daily dose threshold chart.
These preliminary findings suggest that combined treatment with MAAT and methylphenidate can improve attention, episodic and working memory, and executive functioning following traumatic brain injury.
The major issues of drug development are that pre-clinical animal efficacy studies do not accurately predict human efficacy, and clinical trials often inaccurately fail to show drug efficacy.
Sunovion have announced positive results from a study evaluating Latuda (lurasidone HCI) for the treatment of schizophrenia in adolescents aged 13 to 17 years old.
Connectivity in the right midfrontal gyrus may help predict placebo response. This finding has widespread implications in drug development.
There was a significantly greater improvement in memantine group and a greater response rate at weeks 4 and 6.
Medications used to treat addiction cut the risk of reoffending in half.
Researchers discovered novel opioid analgesics, displaying reduced respiratory depression.
The combination of behavioral and cognitive therapy approaches with medications is likely the most effective intervention for adults diagnosed with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Neuroimaging studies have shown several neurophysiological substrates for depression: An overview by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD.
Augmentation and combination approaches with pharmaceuticals are often used in clinical practice.
The FDA has mandated new warnings to include a list of compulsive behaviors.
American College of Physician researchers have released 2 recommendations for treatment of chronic insomnia disorder.
Having more information on the long-term impact of antidepressants on weight could reduce the risk of weight-related morbidity for a large population of adults with depression.
No significant effect was found for preventing or treating delirium during hospitalization with antipsychotic medications.
The ACP recommends transparency in relation to pricing, costs, and comparative value.
Neither a specific antidepressant class nor individual drugs had any influence on the risk of stroke or transient ischemic attack over all of follow-up.
Treatment gives infusions of ketamine no more than once per week.
The number and timing of follow-up psychotherapy visits may be inadequate to deliver evidence-based psychotherapy.
No significant risks were found in adults; the risk of suicidality and aggression doubled in children and teens.
The bioequivalent of Adderall XR, the orally-disintegrating tablet Adzenys XR-ODT is an appealing option for treating ADHD in children.
Researchers found that 33.9% of the 1798 drug shortages were classified as within the scope of emergency medicine practice.
Probuphine works like a contraceptive implant, with 4 small implanted rods that provide a steady amount of medication for up to 6 months.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders