Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase: 4000Units/14375Units/15125Units, 8000Units/28750Units/30250Units, 16000Units/57500Units/60500Units, 24000Units/86250Units/90750Units; del-rel caps.
Digestive Care, Inc.
Indications for PERTZYE:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis or other conditions.
Adults and Children:
Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Swallow whole; do not crush or chew caps. May mix contents with applesauce or other acidic soft food (pH≤ 4.5); swallow mixture immediately, follow with water or juice; take with meals; do not let any drug remain in mouth. Also, may give via gastrostomy tube; up to max contents of two 4000unit caps at a time. ≤12mos: 4000 lipase units per 120mL of formula or breastmilk; give prior to each feeding, do not mix directly. >12mos–<4yrs: initially 1000 lipase units/kg per meal. ≥4yrs: initially 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max (>12mos): 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg/day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested per day. See full labeling.
Not interchangeable with other pancrelipase products. Fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses); risk of stricture formation (monitor). Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia; consider monitoring uric acid levels. Contents irritating to oral mucosa. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Diarrhea, dyspepsia, cough; allergic reactions.
Caps 4000 lipase units—100; 8000, 16000 lipase units—100, 250
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation