It is unknown whether training in emotional, social, and practical skills generalize to the "real world" setting once offenders are released.
Over the past 10 years, a strong research base has been mounting supporting the concept of a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder in teens.
Re-evaluation of Fear Processing in Psychopathy: New Evidence and Application to Other Psychiatric DisordersAugust 30, 2016
This is the first meta-analysis to examine subjective emotion experience in psychopathy.
Assessment of comorbid personality disorder could be key to successful weight loss strategies.
Many clinicians are apprehensive about the risk associated with symptoms of BPD, such as self-harm and suicidal behavior.
Preemies may possess elevated levels of characteristics that put them at risk for peer victimization, including more anxiety and depression.
Patients are usually women; most have chronic, severe conditions with histories of suicide.
Superior to online supportive therapy for symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Transference-focused psychotherapy is associated with alterations in frontolimbic circuitry in borderline personality disorder.
Researchers found significant improvements in hair-pulling symptoms with both "decoupling" and progressive muscle relaxation.
By the end of the exposure and response prevention therapy treatment, more than half of the patients with OCD were considered excellent responders.
IED has comorbidities, including mood disorders, lifetime prevalence of anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and substance abuse.
Those in the negative spirituality group reported significantly worse pain as well as worse physical and mental health.
Homosexual and bisexual men had higher rates of eating disorders than straight men.
Functional MRI scans show those who have borderline personality disorder traits have less activity in areas of the brain involved in empathy.
In an experiment, researchers found that clinicians assumed behaviors that were not present in diagnosing a patient.
Extremist organizations attract vulnerable members by emphasizing victimization and sense of identity.
Morbidity and suicidality associated with borderline personality disorder rivals that of bipolar disorder, yet former is not as well researched.
Quick-to-anger gun owners also have elevated risk of personality disorders, alcohol abuse, anxiety and PTSD, the researchers said.
Many clinicians believe that BPD patients are often treatment resistant and overly demanding.
Boredom, frustration and impatience can promote skin-picking, nail-biting and hair-pulling in some people.
Study found 7.6% of bipolar disorder type I patients also met DSM criteria for OCD, while an additional 4% had subclinical OCD.
In higher doses, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) helped to curb binge eating.
Men who post a lot of selfies on social media more likely to be narcissistic and have psychopathic personality traits.
Social isolation, problematic relationships with peers, and low self-esteem common in people with both gambling problems and personality disorders.
Hoarding disorder, which impacts up to 5% of the population, can be treated with a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy and antidepressants.
People who had adverse childhood experiences did not have worse OCD symptoms than those without such experiences.
Finnish prisoners who were repeat offenders for violent crime shared a certain genotype in two genes.
Clinicians need to learn how to manage negative reactions and dysfunctional behavior in patients with personality disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed