The potential consequences of providing cosmetic treatment to a patient with BDD can extend beyond ethical concerns.
These results identify several predictive factors for remission in children with OCD and may be useful for clinicians in tailoring their treatment approach, although the impact of adjunctive d-cycloserine requires further investigation.
A lower socioeconomic status, childhood maltreatment, and the presence of comorbid mental health conditions were associated with diagnosed OCD in the studied Canadian population.
The treatment led to significantly greater symptom relief and belief reduction compared with exposure and response prevention.
These data highlight potential risk periods for emotional symptom worsening in borderline personality disorder.
The Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire-9 may also potentially be used outside of intensive care settings, such as in longitudinal research.
The authors discouraged physicians from the prescription of lamotrigine, despite the "considerable pressure" that may be created by its recommendation in certain textbooks.
Politically focused intrusive thoughts and associated ritualistic behaviors are associated with measures of psychopathology and disability.
Mindfulness, an awareness of one's present experience without labeling it as good or bad, is a fundamental skill taught in dialectical behavior therapy group skills training.
Re-evaluation of Fear Processing in Psychopathy: New Evidence and Application to Other Psychiatric Disorders
This is the first meta-analysis to examine subjective emotion experience in psychopathy.
Assessment of comorbid personality disorder could be key to successful weight loss strategies.
Preemies may possess elevated levels of characteristics that put them at risk for peer victimization, including more anxiety and depression.
Patients are usually women; most have chronic, severe conditions with histories of suicide.
Superior to online supportive therapy for symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Transference-focused psychotherapy is associated with alterations in frontolimbic circuitry in borderline personality disorder.
Extremist organizations attract vulnerable members by emphasizing victimization and sense of identity.
Quick-to-anger gun owners also have elevated risk of personality disorders, alcohol abuse, anxiety and PTSD, the researchers said.
Boredom, frustration and impatience can promote skin-picking, nail-biting and hair-pulling in some people.
In higher doses, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) helped to curb binge eating.
Effects seen for women, not men, and for those aged 51 to 64 years, but not those aged 65 and older.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents