The potential consequences of providing cosmetic treatment to a patient with BDD can extend beyond ethical concerns.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain.
Researchers are conducting a trial to determine whether 25 or 50 psychotherapy sessions in a year will be more effective at reducing symptoms of depression in patients with personality disorders.
Researchers examined whether adjunctive gabapentin or memantine and standard treatment with a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) might lead to further improvements in patients with OCD.
A brain stimulation device to treat OCD has received approval for marketing by the US Food and Drug Administration.
These results identify several predictive factors for remission in children with OCD and may be useful for clinicians in tailoring their treatment approach, although the impact of adjunctive d-cycloserine requires further investigation.
A lower socioeconomic status, childhood maltreatment, and the presence of comorbid mental health conditions were associated with diagnosed OCD in the studied Canadian population.
The treatment led to significantly greater symptom relief and belief reduction compared with exposure and response prevention.
These data highlight potential risk periods for emotional symptom worsening in borderline personality disorder.
The Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire-9 may also potentially be used outside of intensive care settings, such as in longitudinal research.
The authors discouraged physicians from the prescription of lamotrigine, despite the "considerable pressure" that may be created by its recommendation in certain textbooks.
Politically focused intrusive thoughts and associated ritualistic behaviors are associated with measures of psychopathology and disability.
Mindfulness, an awareness of one's present experience without labeling it as good or bad, is a fundamental skill taught in dialectical behavior therapy group skills training.
Re-evaluation of Fear Processing in Psychopathy: New Evidence and Application to Other Psychiatric Disorders
This is the first meta-analysis to examine subjective emotion experience in psychopathy.
Assessment of comorbid personality disorder could be key to successful weight loss strategies.
Preemies may possess elevated levels of characteristics that put them at risk for peer victimization, including more anxiety and depression.
Patients are usually women; most have chronic, severe conditions with histories of suicide.
Superior to online supportive therapy for symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Transference-focused psychotherapy is associated with alterations in frontolimbic circuitry in borderline personality disorder.
Extremist organizations attract vulnerable members by emphasizing victimization and sense of identity.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction