It is unknown whether training in emotional, social, and practical skills generalize to the "real world" setting once offenders are released.
Politically focused intrusive thoughts and associated ritualistic behaviors are associated with measures of psychopathology and disability.
Mindfulness, an awareness of one's present experience without labeling it as good or bad, is a fundamental skill taught in dialectical behavior therapy group skills training.
Re-evaluation of Fear Processing in Psychopathy: New Evidence and Application to Other Psychiatric Disorders
This is the first meta-analysis to examine subjective emotion experience in psychopathy.
Assessment of comorbid personality disorder could be key to successful weight loss strategies.
Preemies may possess elevated levels of characteristics that put them at risk for peer victimization, including more anxiety and depression.
Patients are usually women; most have chronic, severe conditions with histories of suicide.
Superior to online supportive therapy for symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Transference-focused psychotherapy is associated with alterations in frontolimbic circuitry in borderline personality disorder.
Extremist organizations attract vulnerable members by emphasizing victimization and sense of identity.
Quick-to-anger gun owners also have elevated risk of personality disorders, alcohol abuse, anxiety and PTSD, the researchers said.
Boredom, frustration and impatience can promote skin-picking, nail-biting and hair-pulling in some people.
In higher doses, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) helped to curb binge eating.
Effects seen for women, not men, and for those aged 51 to 64 years, but not those aged 65 and older.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Effects of Antipsychotic Drugs on the Cardiovascular System
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Psychiatric Comorbidities Increase Neurologic Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Self-Regulation Interventions Beneficial for Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury Associated With Increased Risk for Dementia
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- Depression and Sleep Disturbances: Common Bedfellows