Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline hyclate 20mg; tabs.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for PERIOSTAT:
As an adjunct to scaling and root planing to promote attachment level gain and to reduce pocket depth in patients with adult periodontitis.
Take on an empty stomach with adequate amount of fluid. 20mg twice daily (in AM and PM). May give up to 9 months.
Nursing mothers. Infants. Children.
History of or active oral candidiasis. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended.
Avoid concomitant penicillins, methoxyflurane. Antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, urinary alkalinizers reduce absorption. Carbamazepine, barbiturates, phenytoin may decrease effectiveness. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants. Oral contraceptives may be less effective.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias; rare: hepatotoxicity.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Atypical Symptom Presentations in Pediatric OCD
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Light Therapy Effective for Older Adults with Nonseasonal Depression
- AMA Adopts Policy on Augmented Intelligence
- Parental Belief in Religion Lowers Child Suicide Risk
- Appetitive Symptoms, Fluoxetine, and Light Therapy: Predicting Treatment Response for Nonseasonal Major Depression
- Bipolar Disorder Patients Benefit From Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality