Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentostatin 10mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Indications for Pentostatin:
Active hairy cell leukemia.
Ensure adequate hydration. Give as IV bolus or infuse over 20–30 minutes after dilution. 4mg/m2 every other week. Reevaluate after 6 months; discontinue if complete or partial response not achieved; max duration of therapy 12 months. Withhold dose if ANC <200 cells/mm3; may resume when resolved.
Active infections; treat prior to initiating therapy. Withhold or discontinue therapy if severe rash or neurotoxicity develops. Renal impairment. Monitor and obtain CBCs, liver, and renal function before and during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat. D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant fludarabine: not recommended. Potentiates vidarabine. Acute pulmonary toxicity and hypotension with carmustine, etoposide, and high dose cyclophosphamide (see literature).
GI upset, fever, rash, fatigue, leukopenia, pruritus, cough, myalgia, chills, headache, abdominal pain, anorexia, asthenia, stomatitis, rhinitis, dyspnea, anemia, pain, sweating, infections, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling