Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentostatin 10mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Pentostatin:
Active hairy cell leukemia.
Ensure adequate hydration. Give as IV bolus or infuse over 20–30 minutes after dilution. 4mg/m2 every other week. Reevaluate after 6 months; discontinue if complete or partial response not achieved; max duration of therapy 12 months. Withhold dose if ANC <200 cells/mm3; may resume when resolved.
Active infections; treat prior to initiating therapy. Withhold or discontinue therapy if severe rash or neurotoxicity develops. Renal impairment. Monitor and obtain CBCs, liver, and renal function before and during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat. D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant fludarabine: not recommended. Potentiates vidarabine. Acute pulmonary toxicity and hypotension with carmustine, etoposide, and high dose cyclophosphamide (see literature).
GI upset, fever, rash, fatigue, leukopenia, pruritus, cough, myalgia, chills, headache, abdominal pain, anorexia, asthenia, stomatitis, rhinitis, dyspnea, anemia, pain, sweating, infections, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth