PENTAM 300 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for PENTAM 300:
Pneumonia due to Pneumocystis carinii.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by deep IM or IV inj. If administered by IV, must infused over 60–120 minutes. ≥4months: 4mg/kg once daily for 14–21 days. Therapy >21 days has been used; but may increase toxicity risk.
Hyper- or hypotension. Ventricular tachycardia. Hypo- or hyperglycemia. Hypocalcemia. Pancreatitis. Leukopenia. Thrombocytopenia. Anemia. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Monitor BP, BUN, serum creatinine, blood glucose, CBC and platelets, liver function (eg, serum bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, AST/ALT), serum calcium, ECG. Avoid extravasation. Have resuscitation equipment available. Pregnancy (Cat.C; avoid). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Inj site reactions, severe hypotension, hypoglycemia, diabetes, acute pancreatitis, cardiac arrhythmias, nephrotoxic events (eg, renal dysfunction, elevated serum creatinine, azotemia, renal failure), leukopenia, elevated liver functions tests, anorexia/nausea, rash, pruritus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders