More specific biomarkers will be needed to differentiate between atypical parkinsonian disorders.
Research on monogenic disorders has made vital contributions to all aspects of medical care, including our understanding of pain pathophysiology.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
The study suggests that statins may serve a greater purpose beyond control of lipids and cardiovascular events.
Researchers saw a beneficial effect in tests examining frontal lobe function and improvement in memory.
Dopaminergic Control of Striatal Cholinergic Interneurons May Cause Antipsychotic-Associated Parkinsonism
Research examines the underlying mechanisms for the disabling adverse effects associated with antipsychotic medications.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
If transmission of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia of any type, AD, or PD does occur, it is rare.
Declining smoking rates could be associated with higher incidence of parkinsonism and PD.
The drug is the first of its kind to address PD psychosis without having an ill effect on motor symptoms.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Amisulpride May Be Most Effective Antipsychotic for Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia
- Frustrations With Prior Authorization: A Thorn in the Side of Clinicians
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Plasma Autoantibodies Possible Biomarker for Schizophrenia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy Beneficial for Neurocognitive Function in Autism
- The Crisis of Physician Suicides: Past and Present
- Affective Temperaments in Bipolar Have a Significant Impact on Functional, Clinical Outcomes of Mania
- Ketamine: A Promising Agent for Managing Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Patterns of Healthcare Use Before Diagnosis of Psychotic Disorders in Young Adults