Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin 3.9mg/day; transdermal patch.
Indications for OXYTROL:
Overactive bladder with symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency.
Apply to clean, dry area on the abdomen, hip, or buttock. 1 patch twice weekly (every 3–4 days). Rotate application sites.
Urinary or gastric retention, uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma; or patients at risk for these.
Bladder outflow or GI obstruction. Hepatic or renal impairment. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal atony. Hiatus hernia/GERD. Discontinue if skin hypersensitivity or angioedema develops; consider discontinuing if anticholinergic CNS effects occur. Avoid in myasthenia gravis; discontinue if symptoms occur. Exposure to high environmental temperature. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
CNS depression potentiated by alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive effects with other anticholinergics. May affect GI absorption of other drugs. Caution with drugs that cause or exacerbate esophagitis (eg, bisphosphonates).
Local reactions, anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, constipation, dizziness, abnormal vision, somnolence, confusion, hallucinations), headache, diarrhea, rash.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders