Oxacillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxacillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution, or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 2.5mEq/g oxacillin sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxacillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Mild-to-moderate infections: 250–500mg IM or IV every 4–6 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Premature and neonates: 25mg/kg/day IM or IV. Infants and children <40kg: Mild-to-moderate infections: 50mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6 hours; severe infections: 100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Bactocill.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad