ORTHO MICRONOR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Norethindrone 0.35mg (28 tabs).
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ORTHO MICRONOR:
Continuous regimen: 1 tab daily.
Premenarchal: not recommended.
Known or suspected breast carcinoma. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Liver tumors. Acute liver disease. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Cigarette smoking. Ectopic pregnancy (monitor). Increased risk of breast cancer. Do physical exams at least annually. Monitor carbohydrate and lipid metabolism. Discontinue if migraine or other serious headaches occur. Use back-up contraception for 48hrs if taken 3hrs or more late. Nursing mothers: if not exclusively breastfeeding may start 3 weeks after delivery; if fully breastfeeding may start 6 weeks after delivery.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme-inducing drugs (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, barbiturates, rifampin, St. John's Wort, bosentan). May affect lab tests (eg, sex hormone binding globulins, thyroid).
Menstrual irregularities, frequent or irregular bleeding, headache, breast tenderness, nausea, dizziness; delayed follicular atresia, ovarian cysts, androgenic effects (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations