ORFADIN ORAL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitisinone 4mg/mL; strawberry-flavored; contains glycerol 500mg/mL and sodium 0.7mg/mL.
Indications for ORFADIN ORAL SUSPENSION:
Treatment of hereditary tyrosinemia type 1 (HT-1) in combination with dietary restriction of tyrosine and phenylalanine.
Adults and Children:
Caps: take ≥1hr before or 2hrs after a meal. May open and mix contents in water, formula, or applesauce if difficulty swallowing caps or intolerant to oral susp. Initially 0.5mg/kg twice daily. Titrate individually as needed based on response. Monitor plasma and/or urine succinylacetone levels, liver function, and alpha-fetoprotein levels. Increase to 0.75mg/kg twice daily if succinylacetone is still detectable 1 month after treatment initiation; max 2mg/kg total daily dose may be needed. Maintenance: ≥5yrs with undetectable succinylacetone levels after a minimum of 4wks therapy on a stable dose: may give total daily dose once daily (eg, 1–2mg/kg once daily).
Maintain dietary restriction of tyrosine and phenylalanine during therapy. Do not adjust dose to lower plasma tyrosine levels (maintain levels at <500μmol/L). Perform eye exams (including slit-lamp test) prior to starting therapy; re-evaluate and assess plasma tyrosine levels if ocular symptoms develop. Perform lab tests (including plasma tyrosine levels) if abrupt change in neurologic status occurs. Monitor platelets, WBC counts during therapy. Oral susp: glycerol content (>20mL as a single-dose) may increase risk of adverse effects (eg, headache, upset stomach, diarrhea). Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase inhibitor.
May potentiate CYP2C9 substrates; monitor.
Elevated tyrosine levels, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, conjunctivitis, corneal opacity, keratitis, photophobia, eye pain, blepharitis, cataracts, granulocytopenia, epistaxis, pruritus, exfoliative dermatitis, dry skin, maculopapular rash, alopecia.
Caps—60; Oral susp—90mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation