Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone (as sodium phosphate) 15mg/5mL; soln; dye-free; grape flavor; contains alcohol 2%.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for ORAPRED:
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 5–60mg/day.
See full labeling. Tabs: swallow whole or dissolve on tongue; do not break or use partial tabs. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses.
Systemic mycoses. Live vaccinations. Cerebral malaria.
Tuberculosis. Latent infection (esp. amebiasis). Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Cirrhosis. Ocular herpes simplex, optic neuritis: not recommended. Avoid exposure to chickenpox or measles; consider prophylactic passive immune therapy if exposure occurs. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. Hypertension. CHF. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Alternate, intermittent or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance, and intraocular pressure. Emotional instability. Psychotic tendencies. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Effects may be decreased by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin). May be potentiated by ketoconazole estrogens. Acute myopathy with neuromuscular blockers. Avoid aspirin. Cyclosporine: both drugs potentiated and seizures reported. Monitor warfarin, antidiabetic agents. Avoid anticholinesterases. Monitor if given with potassium-depleting agents, digoxin.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice