Generic Name and Formulations:
Iohexol 9.7g (equivalent to 4.5g carbon bound iodine); per bottle; pwd for oral soln after reconstitution.
Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for ORALTAG:
For opacification of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract during computed tomography (CT) of the abdomen and pelvis.
Limitations Of use:
Not for diagnostic examination of the GI tract.
Adults and Children:
Administer 20–60mins before imaging. <3yrs: up to 4.5g iodine (1 bottle); max 4.5g total iodine dose. 3–18yrs: up to 9g iodine (<1–2 bottles); max 9g total iodine dose. >18yrs: 4.5–9g iodine (1–2 bottles); max 9g total iodine dose. For higher concentration preparation at lower volumes: see full labeling.
Do not administer Oraltag parenterally; risk of severe reactions (eg, sepsis). Previous reaction to an iodinated contrast agent. Allergic disorders. Have emergency resuscitation equipment and trained personnel available. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: consider pumping and discarding breast milk for 10hrs post-administration.
Radiographic contrast medium.
May alter results of thyroid function tests; if indicated, perform prior to administration.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use bottle (20oz)—12, 25
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation