Generic Name and Formulations:
Macitentan 10mg; tabs.
Indications for OPSUMIT:
Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH, WHO Group I) to delay disease progression and to reduce hospitalization for PAH.
10mg once daily. Doses >10mg once daily: not recommended.
Embryo-fetal toxicity: in females of reproductive potential, exclude pregnancy prior to initiation, monthly during, and for 1 month after treatment discontinuation; must use acceptable methods of contraception. Obtain LFTs prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as clinically indicated. Discontinue if clinically relevant ALT/AST elevations or if elevations accompanied by bilirubin >2xULN, or by symptoms of hepatotoxicity occur. Underlying left ventricular dysfunction: monitor for fluid retention; evaluate if develops. Severe anemia: not recommended. Measure Hgb prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as clinically indicated. Consider pulmonary veno-occlusive disease if signs of pulmonary edema occur; discontinue if confirmed. Potential decrease in sperm count; counsel men on fertility effects. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Endothelin receptor antagonist.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, ritonavir); avoid concomitant use. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); avoid concomitant use.
Anemia, nasopharyngitis/pharyngitis, bronchitis, headache, influenza, urinary tract infection; hepatotoxicity, decreased hemoglobin.
For all female patients: available only through the Opsumit REMS program. To enroll call (866) 228-3546 or www.OpsumitREMS.com.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad