Following clinical guidelines release, decreases were observed in the overall rate of opioid prescribing.
Unsolicited notices to prescribers as part of prescription drug monitoring programs may not effectively reduce opioid use, as patients may seek other prescribers.
All healthcare providers have a role in combating the opioid use disorder epidemic and its infectious disease consequences.
The prevalence of opioid use disorder rose in women delivering at hospitals across 28 US states and the District of Columbia between 1999 and 2014, with quadrupling at the national level during this period.
Concurrent benzodiazepine use is associated with increased risk for opioid-related overdose, with the risk highest on the first days of concurrent use.
Causes of death in the year after a nonfatal opioid overdose were often related to substance use disorders, as well as to a range of mental health and medical conditions.
A minority of opioid overdose survivors receive medications for opioid use disorder; buprenorphine and methadone maintenance treatment linked are linked to reduced mortality.
In patients receiving opioid substitution treatment for opioid use disorder (mainly involving heroin), those exhibiting a rapid decline in heroin use were found to be more likely to have successful treatment outcomes.
Through their predictive analytics, Cigna can identify customers most likely to suffer from an overdose and can prompt interventions.
Few of the individuals who experience an opioid-related overdose had received treatment for opioid use disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Methylphenidate for ADHD Treatment May Be Associated With Low BMI
- Patients With Schizophrenia May Benefit From Occupational Therapy
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Temperament Traits May Predict Treatment Outcomes Depression
- Psychiatric Screening Tool for EMS Aims to Reduce Emergency Department Burden
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- Psychotic Experiences Linked to Anxiety and Somatic Symptoms in Preadolescent
- DSM-5 Anxious Distress Specifier Valid for Major Depressive Disorder
- Social Stigma Worsens Mental Health With Autism
- Onset of Psychosis Not Related to Cognitive Deterioration in Schizophrenia