While results so far may seem to support a link between increased access to cannabis and a reduction in prescription opioid use, findings from a study published in 2018 found otherwise.
All 3 opioid-dependence pharmacotherapies — methadone, buprenorphine, and oral naltrexone — were associated with reductions in inpatient substance abuse treatment.
Antidepressant medication adherence is linked with cessation of opioid use.
Prescription opioids kept in the household may increase the risk for opioid initiation in co-residents.
Methadone exposure in utero was shown to have an increased risk of neonatal abstinence syndrome compared with buprenorphine.
The FDA has announced the approval of Sublocade for the treatment of moderate to severe opioid use disorder.
The Clinton Foundation's Health Matters Initiative, in partnership with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, issued a report providing 49 recommendations under 10 topic areas on how to address the opioid crisis.
Veterans diagnosed with TBI don't use opioids very often.
Virtual reality may help combat the opioid crisis.
A poll found 58% in favor of prioritizing access to treatment; 26% in favor of more punishment.
Jeffrey Fudin, PharmD, discusses concerns he has regarding the CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.
Anthony Mariano, PhD, offered advice to clinicians for tapering patients off opioids.
Polymorphism at the level of drug receptors, transporters, or other proteins involved in drug metabolism or action may dampen a drug's efficacy or increase its toxicity.
The increase in cases of neonatal abstinence syndrome corresponds with the reported rise in opioid use during pregnancy.
Researchers compared 2 treatment methods in 150 individuals seeking outpatient treatment for prescription opioid or heroin dependence.
Factors including economics, environment, and demographic and social factors might put rural residents at a higher risk of these preventable causes of death.
Barriers to HIV testing include distrust of medical settings, fear of HIV stigma, and substance use problems.
If we invest in evidence-based addiction treatment that is invested in the dignity of every person who needs that treatment, many more people will find themselves ready to seek it out.
A webinar on patient shame forms part of the Prescribers' Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies.
Self-harm has been the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in Colorado between 2004 and 2012.
We explore 3 initiatives that include guidelines and recommendations for CRNAs, physicians, and policymakers.
In children aged 10 to 14, poisonings from suicide or self-inflicted injury rose 37% and accidental poisoning increased 82%.
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Policy makers have prioritized increasing buprenorphine access to fight the opioid epidemic, but lack adequate information about how to do so effectively.
More than 75% of individuals with a current opioid addiction diagnosis, as well as 28% of control participants, presented with an addiction risk score over 52. Researchers focused on single nucleotide polymorphisms associated with brain reward systems.
Regular evaluation and assessment along with a personalized "step approach" is essential for effective pain management.
While treatments for pain often target either the brain or the body, data show treatments often benefit both.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders