Opioid Use Disorder
Case study: new-onset amnesia occuring after cocaine and possible fentanyl use.
Aberrant drug-related behavior was found to be reduced in patients receiving the web-based program in addition to standard care compared with standard care alone.
Number of deaths due to opioid-related overdose may be reduced with slow-release oral morphine.
For patients with opioid use disorder, immediate access to opioid agonist treatment may provide cost-effective health benefits.
The FDA has announced the approval of Sublocade for the treatment of moderate to severe opioid use disorder.
The Clinton Foundation's Health Matters Initiative, in partnership with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, issued a report providing 49 recommendations under 10 topic areas on how to address the opioid crisis.
There is a higher risk of prescription opioid overdose death for people born between 1947 and 1964.
Extended-release naltrexone maintained abstinence from heroin and other illicit substances.
REBOOT reduced the rate of opioid overdose in participants with opioid use disorder
The opioid crisis needs to be addressed in order to reduce overdose deaths.
In Veterans Health Association patients, new-onset depression was more common among women than men using long-term opioids.
Extensive training on opioids is now required for US doctors.
Opioid addiction without receiving medical treatment among 25 years old and younger Americans has severely increased.
Following C-section, women were prescribed roughly twice as many pills as they used.
Patients who frequently relapse into overuse following withdrawal have a worse clinical and psychological profile than patients who relapse less frequently.
Post-surgery pain is a continuum with no clear delineation.
A prescription weight-loss drug reduced the urge to use opiates like oxycodone.
Interventions may need to educate practitioners about how to handle difficult conversations with patients about opioids.
The opioid crisis in Pennsylvania has led to voluntary guidelines emphasizing medication-assisted treatment.
Benzodiazepine safety has not been confirmed beyond short-term use.
Prescribing opioids for 3 days or less may lower chances of addiction, researchers say.
Few adolescents receive methadone or buprenorphine for opioid addiction.
Updated guidelines focus on safe and effective opioid prescribing practices.
Patients addicted to opioids treated in a hospital emergency department do better when they receive medication to reduce opioid cravings.
Dose escalation may be a proxy for loss of control or undetected abuse known to be associated with depression.
The most common condition linked to long-term opioid use was depression while suicide-attempts and self-injury were the least common conditions
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders