In a rare bipartisan move, both the House and Senate have reached a compromise on legislation to address the opioid epidemic.
When alcohol and opioid addiction occur together, managing them concomitantly becomes challenging. Whereas some patients may not need medication for alcohol addiction, opioid abuse does require pharmacotherapy.
Pain conditions may largely be underrecognized contributors to the overdose epidemic.
Depression may partially mediate the association between post-traumatic stress disorder and opioid misuse.
From July 2016 to June 2017, bystanders were documented in 44% of opioid overdose deaths, but naloxone was rarely administered by a layperson.
Cassipa, a film designed to be placed under the tongue, has been approved to treat opioid dependence, the US FDA said in a news release.
Purdue Pharma, the maker of Oxycontin who some have blamed for the epidemic of opioid painkiller addictions, has patented a medicine aimed at curbing those disorders.
Accurate, transparent documentation is key in ensuring safe and appropriate opioid prescribing.
Risk Factors for Prescription Opioid Misuse Include Suicide Ideation, Past Substance Abuse Disorders
These data underscore the impact of comorbid health conditions on opioid misuse disorders and support the use of screening for co-occurring health conditions for patients who misuse prescription opioids.
Emergency department providers need evidence-based strategies to identify and manage patients with opioid use disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction