Children often fill outpatient opioid prescriptions, with the most common indication for dental procedures.
Buprenorphine and methadone maintenance treatment was associated with reduced death in opioid users. No significant associations were found between naltrexone and all-cause mortality or opioid-related mortality.
The US Surgeon General released an advisory urging increased availability of the opioid overdose-reversing drug naloxone earlier this year.
There is a marked excess of deaths among US adults who experience a nonfatal opioid overdose.
A novel, innovative initiative is being developed to help end addiction over the long term.
Oxycodone and morphine are more likely to contain messaging on package inserts describing safe storage and disposal methods compared with other commonly used and misused opioid analgesics.
Patterns associated with opioid overdose include overlapping prescriptions, use of more than one prescriber or pharmacy, and use of out-of-state prescribers or pharmacies.
Higher daily average inpatient pain scores and higher postoperative opioid consumption are associated with a subsequent persistent opioid use.
The US Drug Enforcement Administration's 2014 ruling to reschedule hydrocodone combination products coincided with an increase in illicit trading of opioids through online illicit markets.
Electrical pulses are sent through small needles that are inserted in the ear to combat the early stages of detoxification, leading to stabilization.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents