Generic Name and Formulations:
Somatropin (rDNA origin) 5mg+, 10mg; per 1.5mL cartridge; 5.8mg/vial+; soln for SC inj; +contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for OMNITROPE:
Growth failure in children due to inadequate endogenous GH secretion. Children with growth failure due to Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). Children with growth failure associated with Turner syndrome (TS). Children with growth failure born small for gestational age (SGA) with no catch-up growth by age 2yrs. Children with idiopathic short stature (ISS) whose epiphyses are not closed. Adults with childhood-onset or adult-onset GH deficiency.
Rotate inj sites. Weight-based: Initially up to max 0.04mg/kg/week given as a daily SC inj; may increase at 4–8 week intervals to max 0.08mg/kg/week. Non-weight based: approx. 0.2mg/day (range: 0.15–0.3mg/day), may increase gradually every 1–2 months by increments of approx. 0.1–0.2mg/day.
Rotate inj sites. Weekly dose should be divided over 6 or 7 days of SC injections. GH deficient: 0.16–0.24mg/kg/week. PWS: 0.24mg/kg/week. SGA: up to 0.48mg/kg/week. TS: 0.33mg/kg/week. ISS: up to 0.47mg/kg/week.
Acute critical illness due to surgical complications or multiple accidental trauma or those with acute respiratory failure. Closed epiphyses. Active malignancy or growing intracranial tumors. Diabetic retinopathy. History of upper airway obstruction or sleep apnea, severe obesity, or severe respiratory impairment in PWS patients.
Increased mortality in those with acute critical illness (see Contraindications); weigh potential treatment benefit against the potential risk. PWS: evaluate baseline respiratory function; monitor weight and for respiratory infection; interrupt if signs of upper airway obstruction or sleep apnea occurs. History of GHD secondary to intracranial neoplasm: monitor routinely for tumor progression or recurrence. Increased risk of developing malignancies. Monitor for increased growth or malignant changes of preexisting nevi. Diabetes. Hypopituitarism. Hypothyroidism. Scoliosis. TS patients: evaluate for ear disorders (eg, otitis media); monitor for cardiovascular disorders (eg, stroke, aortic aneurysm/dissection, hypertension). Monitor thyroid function, glucose tolerance, and for intracranial hypertension (do baseline and periodic funduscopic exams). Hypoadrenalism: monitor for reduced serum cortisol levels. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Growth hormone (GH).
May require increase in maintenance or stress doses of glucocorticoids in hypoadrenalism. Antagonized by glucocorticoids. Concomitant drugs metabolized by CYP450 enzymes (eg, steroids, anticonvulsants, cyclosporine); monitor. Antidiabetic medications may need to be adjusted. Women on oral estrogen: may need higher somatropin dose.
Inj site reactions/rashes, lipoatrophy, headache, hyperglycemia, pancreatitis, fluid retention (esp. in adults), edema, arthralgia, myalgia, hypothyroidism, antibody formation, serious hypersensitivity reactions, elevated serum phosphorous, alkaline phosphatase, and IGF-1; also children: slipped capital femoral epiphysis (monitor). Long-term overdose may cause gigantism and/or acromegaly.
Cartridges 5mg—1, 5 (use w. Omnitrope Pen 5), 10mg—1, 5 (use w. Omnitrope Pen 10); Vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD