Generic Name and Formulations:
Estrone sodium sulfate (as estropipate) 5mg; scored tabs.
Indications for OGEN:
Moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms of menopause. Atrophic vaginitis. Osteoporosis prevention. Hypoestrogenism.
Menopause: 0.625–5mg daily, given cyclically (3 weeks on, 1 week off). Osteoporosis prevention (begin therapy soon after menopause): 0.625mg daily, given cyclically (25 days of a 31-day cycle). Hypoestrogenism: 1.25–7.5mg daily for 3 weeks. Repeat course if withdrawal bleeding does not occur within 8–10 days after discontinuing. See literature. Reevaluate periodically.
Breast or estrogen-dependent carcinoma. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Thromboembolic disorders. Thrombophlebitis. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Estrogens increase the risk of endometrial cancer. Cardiovascular and other risks.
Patients with an intact uterus should almost always receive a progestin to avoid endometrial hyperplasia. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Gallbladder disease. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Bone disease associated with hypercalcemia. Do initial complete physical and repeat annually (include BP, mammogram, and PAP smear). Discontinue if jaundice or hypertension occurs and at least 2 weeks before surgery associated with thromboembolism. Nursing mothers.
See full labeling. GI upset, breakthrough bleeding, edema, weight changes, mastodynia, hypertension, intolerance to contact lenses.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation