Generic Name and Formulations:
Pooled plasma (human) 45–70mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; solvent/detergent treated; frozen; pyrogen-free.
Indications for OCTAPLAS:
Replacement of multiple coagulation factors with acquired deficiencies due to liver disease, undergoing cardiac surgery, or liver transplant. Plasma exchange in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP).
For IV infusion only after thawing. Administer based on ABO-blood group compatibility. Coagulation factors replacement: initially 10–15mL/kg to increase plasma coagulation factor levels approx. 15–25%; if hemostasis is not achieved, use higher doses. Adjust based on response; monitor aPTT, PT, and/or specific coagulation factors. TTP: usually 1–1.5 plasma volumes (40–60mL/kg) to completely replace plasma volume removed during plasmapheresis.
IgA deficiency. Severe Protein S deficiency. Prior hypersensitivity to fresh frozen plasma or plasma-derived products including plasma protein.
Risk of transfusion reactions with ABO blood group mismatches. Risk of hypervolemia with high infusion rates; monitor for signs/symptoms of pulmonary edema or cardiac failure. Hyperfibrinolysis may develop due to low levels of alpha2-antiplasmin; monitor for signs of excessive bleeding in liver transplantation. Monitor for thrombosis. Risk of citrate toxicity; use max infusion rate: 0.020–0.025mmol citrate/kg/min (eg, Octaplas <1mL/kg/min). Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease agent). Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pooled plasma (human).
Avoid injecting calcium-containing drugs in same IV line.
Pruritus, urticaria, nausea, headache, paresthesia; anaphylactic shock, citrate toxicity, severe hypotension.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad