Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain.
Researchers examined whether adjunctive gabapentin or memantine and standard treatment with a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) might lead to further improvements in patients with OCD.
A brain stimulation device to treat OCD has received approval for marketing by the US Food and Drug Administration.
These results identify several predictive factors for remission in children with OCD and may be useful for clinicians in tailoring their treatment approach, although the impact of adjunctive d-cycloserine requires further investigation.
The potential consequences of providing cosmetic treatment to a patient with BDD can extend beyond ethical concerns.
The treatment led to significantly greater symptom relief and belief reduction compared with exposure and response prevention.
The Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire-9 may also potentially be used outside of intensive care settings, such as in longitudinal research.
Politically focused intrusive thoughts and associated ritualistic behaviors are associated with measures of psychopathology and disability.
The combination of behavioral and cognitive therapy approaches with medications is likely the most effective intervention for adults diagnosed with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The behaviors associated with body dysmorphic disorder diminish quality of life and create tremendous interference.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses