Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain.
Researchers examined whether adjunctive gabapentin or memantine and standard treatment with a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) might lead to further improvements in patients with OCD.
A brain stimulation device to treat OCD has received approval for marketing by the US Food and Drug Administration.
These results identify several predictive factors for remission in children with OCD and may be useful for clinicians in tailoring their treatment approach, although the impact of adjunctive d-cycloserine requires further investigation.
The potential consequences of providing cosmetic treatment to a patient with BDD can extend beyond ethical concerns.
The treatment led to significantly greater symptom relief and belief reduction compared with exposure and response prevention.
The Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire-9 may also potentially be used outside of intensive care settings, such as in longitudinal research.
Politically focused intrusive thoughts and associated ritualistic behaviors are associated with measures of psychopathology and disability.
The combination of behavioral and cognitive therapy approaches with medications is likely the most effective intervention for adults diagnosed with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The behaviors associated with body dysmorphic disorder diminish quality of life and create tremendous interference.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored Electronic Cigarettes
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes Identified in Youths With Anxiety Disorders
- Happy Childhood Memories Associated With Better Health
- FDA Launches MyStudies Mobile App in Effort to Increase Access to Real World Patient Data
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression