Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant), porcine sequence 500 Units; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution.
Indications for OBIZUR:
Treatment of bleeding episodes in acquired Hemophilia A.
Limitations Of use:
Not established in baseline anti-porcine Factor VIII inhibitor titer >20 Bethesda Units (BU). Not for treatment of congenital Hemophilia A or von Willebrand disease.
Individualize. Give by IV inj at rate of 1–2mL/min. Minor and moderate bleed: initially 200 Units/kg every 4–12hrs; titrate subsequent doses to maintain 50–100 Units/dL. Major bleed: initially 200 Units/kg every 4–12hrs; titrate subsequent doses to maintain 100–200 Units/dL (to treat acute bleed) or 50–100 Units/dL (after acute bleed is controlled, if required). Adjust based on FVIII recovery levels and clinical response.
Hamster protein sensitivity.
Monitor for development of inhibitory antibodies; consider other therapies if suspected. Perform a Nijmegen Bethesda inhibitor assay if expected plasma FVIII levels not attained or if bleeding uncontrolled with expected dose. Monitor FVIII activity 30 mins and 3hrs after initial dose, then 30 mins after subsequent doses using one-stage clotting assay. Monitor replacement therapy in major surgery or life-threatening bleeding episodes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Porcine factor VIII inhibitor development; hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occur).
Single-use vials—1, 5, 10 (w. diluent + vial adapter)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed