Generic Name and Formulations:
Nimodipine 3mg/mL; oral soln; contains ethanol.
Arbor Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Indications for NYMALIZE:
To improve neurological outcome by reducing the incidence and severity of ischemic deficits in adults with subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured intracranial berry aneurysms, regardless of post-ictus neurological condition.
Start within 96hrs of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Take on empty stomach. Oral: 60mg (20mL) every 4hrs for 21 consecutive days. Via NG or gastric tube: use oral syringe; flush with 20mL normal saline after each dose. Cirrhosis: 30mg (10mL) every 4hrs; monitor.
Not for IV or other parenteral administration. Monitor BP and heart rate during treatment (esp. patients w. cirrhosis). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB).
May potentiate effects of anti-hypertensives (eg, diuretics, beta-blockers, ACEIs, ARBs, other calcium channel blockers, α-adrenergic blockers, PDE5 inhibitors, α-methyldopa; monitor and adjust dose if needed. Increased risk of hypotension with concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, clarithromycin, telithromycin, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, boceprevir, telaprevir, ketoconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole, conivaptan, delaviridine, nefazodone): avoid. May be potentiated by moderate and weak CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, alprazolam, amprenavir, amiodarone, aprepitant, atazanavir, cimetidine, cyclosporine, diltiazem, erythromycin, fluconazole, fluoxetine, isoniazid, oral contraceptives, quinupristin/dalfopristin, valproic acid, verapamil); monitor and reduce nimodipine dose may be needed. Avoid concomitant grapefruit juice. Antagonized by concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampin, St. Johns wort): avoid. May be antagonized by moderate and weak CYP3A4 inducers (eg, amprenavir, aprepitant, armodafinil, bosentan, efavirenz, etravirine, Echinacea, modafinil, nafcillin, pioglitazone, prednisone, rufinamide, and vemurafenib); monitor and increase nimodipine dose may be needed.
Hypotension, headache, nausea, bradycardia.
Soln—473mL; Unit-dose cups (10mL, 20mL)—12 (w. oral syringes)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth