NOVOLOG MIX 70/30 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin aspart protamine suspension 70% (rDNA origin), insulin aspart 30% (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; SC inj; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Indications for NOVOLOG MIX 70/30:
For SC inj only. Onset approx ≤15 mins, peak approx 2.4hrs, duration up to 24hrs.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Do not reuse or share pens between patients; or needles and syringes when using vials. Instruct patients on proper administration of insulin, check insulin label before each injection, and management of hypoglycemia. Increased risk of hypo- or hyperglycemia if changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic function, insulin regimen and if acute illness occurs: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Monitor potassium levels in patients at risk for hypokalemia (eg, concomitant K+-lowering or K+-sensitive drugs). Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Hyperglycemia and ketoacidosis due to insulin pump device malfunction: see full labeling. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, pentoxifylline, pramlintide, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by atypical antipsychotics, corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, glucagon, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, protease inhibitors. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Concomitant β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may blunt hypoglycemia. Do not mix with other insulins.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local inj site reactions, lipodystrophy, rash, pruritus, edema, sodium retention, weight gain; hypersensitivity and allergic reactions.
Vials (10mL)—1; FlexPen (3mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents