NOVOLIN R OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Regular insulin (human, rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; soln for SC or IV inj.
Indications for NOVOLIN R:
Adults and Children:
Individualize. SC or IV inj. SC: onset approx 30mins, peak 2.5–5hrs, duration approx 8hrs.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Do not share pens between patients, or needles and syringes when using vials. Instruct patients on proper administration of insulin, check insulin label before each injection, and management of hypoglycemia. Increased risk of hypo- or hyperglycemia if changes in physical activity, meal patterns, concomitant medications, renal or hepatic function, insulin regimen and if acute illness occurs: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Monitor potassium levels in patients at risk for hypokalemia (eg, concomitant K+-lowering or K+-sensitive drugs). Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, pentoxifylline, pramlintide, salicylates, somatostatin analogs (eg, octreotide), sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by atypical antipsychotics, corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, glucagon, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, oral contraceptives, estrogens, progestogens, protease inhibitors. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Concomitant β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may blunt hypoglycemia.
Hypoglycemia, allergic reactions, inj site reactions, lipodystrophy, weight gain, hypokalemia, peripheral edema.
Vials (10mL)—1; FlexPen (3mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad