NOVOLIN 70/30 OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin isophane suspension (NPH) 70% (human, rDNA origin), regular insulin 30% (human, rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; inj.
Indications for NOVOLIN 70/30:
Adults and Children:
SC injection only. Onset approx 30 mins, peak 2–12hrs, duration approx 24hrs.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share needles or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by salicylates, MAOIs, alcohol, sulfa drugs, some ACE inhibitors, drugs that inhibit pancreatic function (eg, octreotide), oral hypoglycemic agents, anabolic steroids, quinine, quinidine, alpha-adrenergic blocking agents. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, oral contraceptives, thyroid hormones, growth hormone, diazoxide, asparaginase, nicotinic acid. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders