Generic Name and Formulations:
Disopyramide (as phosphate) 100mg, 150mg; caps.
Indications for NORPACE:
Documented life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias.
400–800mg daily in 4 divided doses every 6hrs. For rapid control of ventricular arrhythmias, consider loading dose of 300mg (200mg if body weight <110 lbs). Renal dysfunction, cardiac decompensation, or body wt <110 lbs: see full labeling.
Initiate in hospital. Give as divided doses every 6hrs: <1yr: 10–30mg/kg per day; 1–4yrs: 10–20mg/kg per day. 4–12yrs: 10–15mg/kg per day. 12–18yrs: 6–15mg/kg per day.
Cardiogenic shock. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block, unless paced. Congenital QT prolongation. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl ≤40mL/min): CR form not recommended.
Excessive mortality or non-fatal cardiac arrest rate was seen in CAST trial. Correct potassium imbalance before starting. Discontinue if hypotension or CHF worsening occurs; if needed, restart at lower dose after cardiac compensation established. Reduce dose in 1st-degree AV block, consider discontinuing if persistent. Monitor closely or discontinue if QT prolongation or QRS widening occurs. Atrial tachyarrhythmias: digitalize first. Conduction defects. Cardiomyopathy. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Urinary retention. BPH. Glaucoma. Myasthenia gravis. Chronic malnutrition. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C): may stimulate uterine contractions. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Avoid other antiarrhythmics except in unresponsive, life-threatening arrhythmias. Avoid CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, clarithromycin); may result in fatal interactions. Hypoglycemia with β-blockers, alcohol. Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, phenytoin). Do not give within 48hrs before or 24hrs after verapamil.
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, urinary retention, constipation, blurred vision), GI upset, dizziness, fatigue, impotence, hypotension, heart failure, AV block, edema, rash, hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, lupus-like syndrome, psychosis.
Caps—100; CR—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad