Generic Name and Formulations:
Disopyramide (as phosphate) 100mg, 150mg; caps.
Indications for NORPACE:
Documented life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias.
400–800mg daily in 4 divided doses every 6hrs. For rapid control of ventricular arrhythmias, consider loading dose of 300mg (200mg if body weight <110 lbs). Renal dysfunction, cardiac decompensation, or body wt <110 lbs: see full labeling.
Initiate in hospital. Give as divided doses every 6hrs: <1yr: 10–30mg/kg per day; 1–4yrs: 10–20mg/kg per day. 4–12yrs: 10–15mg/kg per day. 12–18yrs: 6–15mg/kg per day.
Cardiogenic shock. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block, unless paced. Congenital QT prolongation. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl ≤40mL/min): CR form not recommended.
Excessive mortality or non-fatal cardiac arrest rate was seen in CAST trial. Correct potassium imbalance before starting. Discontinue if hypotension or CHF worsening occurs; if needed, restart at lower dose after cardiac compensation established. Reduce dose in 1st-degree AV block, consider discontinuing if persistent. Monitor closely or discontinue if QT prolongation or QRS widening occurs. Atrial tachyarrhythmias: digitalize first. Conduction defects. Cardiomyopathy. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Urinary retention. BPH. Glaucoma. Myasthenia gravis. Chronic malnutrition. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C): may stimulate uterine contractions. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other antiarrhythmics except in unresponsive, life-threatening arrhythmias. Avoid CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, clarithromycin); may result in fatal interactions. Hypoglycemia with β-blockers, alcohol. Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducers (eg, phenytoin). Do not give within 48hrs before or 24hrs after verapamil.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, urinary retention, constipation, blurred vision), GI upset, dizziness, fatigue, impotence, hypotension, heart failure, AV block, edema, rash, hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, lupus-like syndrome, psychosis.
Caps—100; CR—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed