Sexual minority women and men are more likely to be unemployed and uninsured and have worse health-related quality of life than heterosexual individuals.
A growing partnership between the Military Health System and permanent civilian trauma institutions is being fostered.
Underinsured and never insured adults more likely to report poor/fair health.
Most have potential surrogates for decision making but have not discussed or documented their wishes for advance care planning.
The National Institutes of Health's NCCIH has announced the launch of an app for easy access to research-based information on the safety and effectiveness of herbal products.
A new policy opposing lockout provisions that block Medicaid patients from the program for lengthy periods was adopted by the AMA House of Delegates.
Additional codes have been approved by the CPT Editorial Panel for chronic care remote physiologic monitoring and internet consultations.
Mortality rates for unsheltered homeless adults are higher than those for the general adult population and sheltered homeless adults.
Female internists earn less than men, across many demographic and employment indicators.
Most youths in a recent survey support the right to own guns, but the majority believe that gun control laws would reduce mass shootings.
There is considerable variation in specialty drug coverage across commercial health plans.
The council will examine health care spending in the US and provide a focal point for discussion, analysis, and action on health care spending and values.
There is a correlation for firearm caliber with likelihood of death from gunshot wounds.
In order to achieve universal health coverage, stakeholders must focus on the quality of health services.
Four strategies were presented to help physicians make personal and professional gains.
Sound healing — a meditation technique that focuses on the power of sound — may offer a solution to physician burnout.
Insurance companies sometimes underpay physicians the contracted amount for a service or procedure.
Medical institutions and organizations need to ensure there are proactive interventions to transform the workplace in order to address sexual harassment and discrimination.
Details of Montreal Cognitive Assessment Widely Publicized After President Donald Trump's EvaluationJuly 26, 2018
Many published news articles included details of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) in association with President Trump, some of which invited readers to self-administer the test.
Embezzlement occurs frequently in medical practices and steps should be taken to prevent it.
Coverage rates and access to care are significantly higher in states with Medicaid expansion, compared with non-expansion states.
Mental Health Organizations Urge Administration to Stop Separating Parents and Children at US BorderJuly 24, 2018
Citing the high degree of stress and possible lifelong trauma children can experience as the result of a forced separation, the mental health organizations noted that the policy could result in an increased risk for many mental illnesses.
Mental health does not differ significantly between offspring with sexual minority parents from the community-based National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study and a matched normative population-based sample.
The FDA has released new guidance for drug developers that could potentially lead to the approval of a wider range of nonprescription drug products.
Physician burnout, fatigue, and work-unit safety grades are independently associated with medical errors.
Virtual assistant programs like Google Assistant, Siri, and Alexa are not yet in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Wellness travel comes in many forms: from coastal bike rides to weeklong workout programs with celebrity trainers.
Overlooking women in medicine can have far-reaching consequences.
Adherence to a healthy lifestyle among mothers during their offspring's childhood is associated with reduced risk of childhood obesity.
Parental incarceration is associated with lower healthcare use and unhealthy behaviors among adolescents and young adults.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Atypical Symptom Presentations in Pediatric OCD
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Light Therapy Effective for Older Adults with Nonseasonal Depression
- AMA Adopts Policy on Augmented Intelligence
- Parental Belief in Religion Lowers Child Suicide Risk
- Appetitive Symptoms, Fluoxetine, and Light Therapy: Predicting Treatment Response for Nonseasonal Major Depression
- Bipolar Disorder Patients Benefit From Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality