Generic Name and Formulations:
Nepafenac 0.1%, oph. susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for NEVANAC:
Post-operative pain and inflammation following cataract surgery.
≥10yrs: 1 drop in affected eye(s) 3 times daily starting one day before surgery, continued on day of surgery, and through first 2 weeks post-op.
<10yrs: not established.
Bleeding tendencies. May delay wound healing. Complicated/repeat ocular surgeries. Corneal defects/denervation. Ocular surface diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis. Diabetes. Monitor cornea; discontinue if corneal epithelial breakdown occurs. Risk of corneal adverse events may be increased if used more than 24 hours before surgery, or beyond 14 days post-op. Contact lenses (remove during therapy). Pregnancy (Cat.C; avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.
Caution with concomitant medications that may prolong bleeding time. Increased potential for healing problems with concomitant topical steroids.
Ocular effects (eg, capsular opacity, decreased visual acuity, foreign body sensation, increased intraocular pressure, sticky sensation, edema, dry eye, lid margin crusting, discomfort, hyperemia, pain, pruritus, photophobia, tearing, vitreous detachment), headache, hypertension, GI upset, sinusitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation