This study provides the first comprehensive, quantitative demonstration of the metabolomic deficiencies in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Researchers used MRI to detect variations in neural connections among earthquake survivors.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
Both men and women with HIV were more likely to experience comorbid psychiatric conditions than their peers without an HIV diagnosis.
Dr Twillman, Executive Director for the American Academy of Pain Management, emphasizes the fact that CDC guidelines on opioids are expert- and not evidence-based.
Analysis revealed that the brief OCD screener predicted OCD with an accuracy rate of higher than 90%.
Effectiveness of Psychoeducational Intervention for Individuals Experiencing Fear of Cancer RecurrenceOctober 17, 2016
Researchers conducted a randomized controlled trial to examine the efficacy of a psychoeducational intervention to reduce fear of cancer recurrence.
Despite intense research efforts and recent advances in understanding the condition, the exact etiology of OCD remains largely undefined.
Researchers conducted an fMRI study of decision-making under conditions of risk and ambiguity in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Approximately 2.5% of people worldwide are estimated to have bipolar spectrum disorders, which are a significant cause of neuropsychiatric disability.
CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
Dr. Scott Zeller suggests it is time to move away from emergency intramuscular haloperidol.
The extent or severity of physical ailments and functional impairment needs to be carefully examined in order to successfully prevent suicide in late life.
Suicide prevention strategies should include the provision of nighttime services.
Study provides further evidence for the effects of white matter fiber abnormalities and neuroinflammation on positive symptoms in patients with schizophrenia.
You have probably heard the term 'Big Data' being bandied around, but what does it actually mean for the psychiatry sector? Dr Nicola Davies explains what Big Data is, before exploring how it's currently being applied within psychiatry.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
Until now, the majority of postmortem research that has examined functionally related gene sets has been limited to a single disorder or region of the brain.
By using the Washington Early Recognition Center Affectivity and Psychosis (WERCAP) questionnaire, investigators accurately predicted bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in more than 85% of patients.
Pupillary reactivity to emotional stimuli has been investigated to provide objective information about the risk for recurrence of depressive symptoms in women.
New findings provide an insight about the association between white matter microstructure and the severity of schizophrenia clinical symptoms.
Interaction of Proline and COMT Genotype Influences Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia & Bipolar DisorderSeptember 27, 2016
The authors explored whether valproate (VPA) treatment effects vary by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype.
Researchers investigated the lasting effects of whole body hyperthermia (WBH) in the first randomized, double-blind, [placebo]-controlled study of WBH for the treatment of MDD.
Poor psychosocial functioning among individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia is associated with deficits in social cognition.
TSPO expression is frequently used as a biomarker for brain inflammation during PET imaging.
Low physical activity was defined as less than 150 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous exercise per week.
Researchers used the auditory mismatch negativity (MMN) paradigm to evaluate its potential as a neurophysiological biomarker for psychosis.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism