The authors noted that apathy is very common and progressive among Huntington disease mutation carriers, even during early stages of the disease, and has been associated with decline in general functioning.
Electrical stimulation of the amygdala may boost declarative memory without influencing an emotional response.
Veterans diagnosed with TBI don't use opioids very often.
Primary hyperparathyroidism may be linked to lower intracerebral vasomotor reactivity, which could lead to cognitive dysfunction.
Compared with male athletes, female athletes face a greater incidence of and longer recovery time from concussion.
Functional MRI imaging found that in patients with non-neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus, defects in spatial working memory and cognitive dysfunction were related to damage in specific neural networks.
Patients in the visual arm of the study wore flashing LED goggles delivering visual stimulation in the alpha-band range.
Evidence indicates that distraction can provide pain relief, highlighting the influence cognitive processes have on pain perception.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
Regular late-life volunteering is independently tied to decreased risk of cognitive impairment.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognition.
Researchers conducted an fMRI study of decision-making under conditions of risk and ambiguity in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Serum ghrelin levels may serve as a biomarker of executive function in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Sundowning is a complex multifactorial condition that has eluded rigorous understanding of its pathophysiological causes.
Dr. Roger McIntyre suggests that the clinical relevance of cognitive dysfunction for any individual patient can only be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.
Dysfunction across several cognitive domains is often concomitant with depression.
Most aging humans will develop some degree of decline in cognitive capacity.
Poor psychosocial functioning among individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia is associated with deficits in social cognition.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
Investigators used fMRI to examine whether disruption of long-term fear memory reconsolidation can attenuate the activity in the amygdala at re-exposure to fear cues.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
Those with lower BMI showed higher levels of beta-amyloid, closely tied to the onset of Alzheimer's disease.
The study suggests that statins may serve a greater purpose beyond control of lipids and cardiovascular events.
Researchers saw a beneficial effect in tests examining frontal lobe function and improvement in memory.
Converting just 1 meeting per week to a walking meeting can increase on-the-job activity levels for white-collar workers.
Dopaminergic Control of Striatal Cholinergic Interneurons May Cause Antipsychotic-Associated ParkinsonismJuly 21, 2016
Research examines the underlying mechanisms for the disabling adverse effects associated with antipsychotic medications.
The effects of aggregate genetic AD risk are detectable before symptoms appear, even early in life.
Distinguishing between psychiatric disorders and AD is crucial because of the differing prognosis and management of the two.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed