There are a handful of biomarkers that offer potential value for predicting the risk for development of MCI symptoms from AD symptoms.
Patients randomly assigned to the intervention experienced a statistically significant improvement in quality of life, agitation, and overall neuropsychiatric symptoms.
Cognitive rehabilitation may be an effective therapy for Parkinson-associated dementias.
The AAN has issued new recommended guidelines for treating mild cognitive impairment.
Higher BMI was linked to an increased risk of dementia when weight was measured 20 years before dementia diagnosis.
Obesity and associated comorbidities are seen to be potential contributers to Alzheimer disease pathophysiology.
HIV-positive patients with higher alcohol consumption levels did worse on several neurocognitive tests, however alcohol was not the primary factor.
In order to maximize cognitive benefits in patients with epilepsy, early consideration of and evaluation for epilepsy surgery is key.
Findings suggest that children with BECTS is predictive of neuropsychological outcomes, not age of first seizure.
Sodium oxybate seems to be well tolerated in patients with Parkinson's disease and excessive daytime sleepiness.
Results from animal studies have been showing that anesthetics may be neurotoxic and could lead to cognitive dysfunction.
HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder is a term used to describe a range of neurocognitive dysfunction issues linked to HIV infection.
There were associations found between SCD and region-specific tauopathy.
A recently published study reports that women who develop high blood pressure in their 40s could be at a higher risk for developing dementia later in life.
A new analytic model can now predict cognitive decline within 10 years of onset PD.
For individuals with dementia, lifetime care costs are increased.
New data were presented at the IAS Conference, pertaining to predictive factors and cognitive screening for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders.
Neural changes can lead to potential financial exploitation in older adults.
This study suggests a link between high reward receptor responses in the striatal cortex and expression of pain complaints 2 years later.
Head impacts in soccer are independently associated with moderate to very severe central nervous system (CNS) symptoms.
These preliminary findings suggest that combined treatment with MAAT and methylphenidate can improve attention, episodic and working memory, and executive functioning following traumatic brain injury.
Better management of cardiovascular risk factors and higher levels of education may have contributed to this improvement.
Research on monogenic disorders has made vital contributions to all aspects of medical care, including our understanding of pain pathophysiology.
The recovery time varies depending on which class of medication the patient is overusing.
The longer the duration of ADT, the greater the risk of dementia.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognitive impairment.
The Effect of Cognitive Remediation Training on Functional Connectivity and Social Cognition in SchizophreniaOctober 13, 2016
Study provides further evidence for the effects of cognitive enhancement intervention on brain functional connectivity and cognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
Individuals suffering from depression, as well as persons diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy, present with dysfunction across several cognitive domains.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders