Generic Name and Formulations:
Chloroprocaine HCl 10mg/mL, 20mg/mL; soln for inj; contains methylparaben.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NESACAINE:
Production of local anesthesia by infiltration and peripheral nerve block.
Epidural anesthesia: administer test dose first; monitor for CNS or cardiovascular toxicity. See literature for dosing based on procedure. Individualize. Max single recommended dose: 11mg/kg, not to exceed max total dose of 800mg. Debilitated, elderly, acutely ill (cardiac and/or liver disease): reduce dose.
<3yrs: see literature. Individualize based on age and weight. ≥3yrs: max 11mg/kg.
Not for subarachnoid administration. Lumbar and caudal epidural anesthesia: caution with existing neurological disease, spinal deformities, septicemia, severe hypertension. To be administered under the supervision of experienced clinicians. Have intubation, artificial respiration, oxygen therapy and reversal agents available. Hypotension. Heart block. Monitor cardiovascular and respiratory vital signs. Hepatic impairment. Retrobulbar block. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant sulfonamides: not recommended.
CNS effects (eg, excitation, depression, restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, tremors), cardiovascular effects (eg, myocardium depression, decreased cardiac output, heart block, hypotension, bradycardia, ventricular arrhythmias, cardiac arrest), allergic-type reactions, neurologic effects (eg, spinal block, urinary retention, paresthesia, weakness, headache, paralysis of lower extremities).
Nesacaine: Multi-dose vial (30mL)—1; Nesacaine-MPF: Single-dose vial (20mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation