Generic Name and Formulations:
Methazolamide 25mg, 50mg; tabs.
Indications for NEPTAZANE:
Ocular conditions where lowering intraocular pressure would be of therapeutic benefit (eg, chronic open-angle glaucoma, secondary glaucoma, pre-op in acute angle-closure glaucoma).
50–100mg 2–3 times daily.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Long-term use in angle-closure glaucoma.
Sulfonamide allergy. Respiratory impairment (eg, pulmonary obstruction or emphysema). Do baseline CBC and platelet counts before starting and during therapy. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May inhibit renal excretion of basic drugs and promote excretion of acidic drugs. Caution with high-dose aspirin; may increase salicylate toxicity. Caution with corticosteroids; may develop hypokalemia.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Paresthesias, tinnitus, fatigue, malaise, anorexia, GI upset, dysguesia, drowsiness, confusion, metabolic acidosis, electrolyte imbalance, transient myopia; hepatic insufficiency, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, urticaria, melena, hematuria, glycosuria, flaccid paralysis, photosensitivity, convulsions; rare: crystalluria, renal calculi.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling