Neomycin/Polymyxin B Sulfates/Hydrocortisone Ophthalmic Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Neomycin (as sulfate) 3.5mg, polymyxin B sulfate 10000 Units, hydrocortisone 10mg; per mL; contains thimersol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Neomycin/Polymyxin B Sulfates/Hydrocortisone Ophthalmic Suspension:
For steroid-responsive inflammatory ocular conditions for which a corticosteroid is indicated and where bacterial infection or a risk of bacterial ocular infection exists.
1 or 2 drops in affected eye(s) every 3 or 4 hours, depending on severity. Max initial ℞: 20mL; do not refill without further evaluation.
Ocular fungal, viral or mycobacterial infections.
Do not inject into the eye. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. Monitor IOP, and for secondary infections in prolonged use. Discontinue if sensitization reaction occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antibiotics + steroid.
Local irritation, sensitization (itching, swelling, conjunctival erythema), masks infection, delays healing; in prolonged use: increased IOP, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling