Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentobarbital sodium 50mg/mL; soln for IM or IV inj; contains alcohol.
Indications for NEMBUTAL:
Short-term (≤ 2 weeks) treatment of insomnia when oral route is not feasible.
IM: 150mg–200mg (max 5mL/inj) as a single deep IM inj. IV: Inject slowly (max 50mg/min). ≥70kg: initially 100mg; observe and monitor vital signs at least 1 minute, then may increase as needed in small increments to usual max 500mg. Elderly, debilitated, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose.
IM: 2–6mg/kg as a single deep IM inj; max 100mg. IV: inject slowly; reduce adult dose proportionally (see literature).
Prehepatic coma: not recommended. Avoid abrupt cessation. Acute or chronic pain. Depression. Suicidal tendencies. Drug abuser. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor BP, respiration, cardiac function. Avoid extravasation. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by MAOIs, valproic acid, sodium valproate (monitor). CNS depression potentiated with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Antagonizes anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other steroid hormones (eg, oral contraceptives), doxycycline. May interfere with griseofulvin absorption. Variable effects with phenytoin (monitor).
Somnolence, respiratory depression, CNS effects, bradycardia, hypotension, syncope, GI upset, headache, inj site reactions, paradoxical excitement.
Multi-dose vials (20mL, 50mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis