Naphazoline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naphazoline HCl 1mg (0.1%); oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Naphazoline HCl:
For use as a topical ocular vasoconstrictor.
Adults and Children:
Instill 1 or 2 drops in the conjunctival sac(s) every 3–4hrs as needed.
Anatomically narrow angle or in narrow-angle glaucoma.
Hypertension. Cardiovascular abnormalities. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Infection. Injury. Children (esp. infants): may result in CNS depression leading to coma and marked reduction in body temperature. Discontinue if no relief obtained within 48hrs of therapy, if irritation, blurring or redness persists or increases, or if symptoms of systemic absorption occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant maprotiline or tricyclic antidepressants may potentiate pressor effect. Severe hypertensive crisis possible with concomitant MAOIs.
Sympathomimetic (imidazoline derivative).
Ocular (eg, mydriasis, increased redness, irritation, discomfort, blurring, punctate keratitis, lacrimation, increased intraocular pressure); systemic (eg, dizziness, headache, nausea, sweating, nervousness, drowsiness, weakness, hypertension, cardiac irregularities, hyperglycemia).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders