Nafcillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nafcillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for deep IM inj after reconstitution, IV inj or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nafcillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj, or IV inj over 5–10 mins, or short-term IV drip for 24–48 hours. IM: 500mg every 4–6 hours. IV: 500mg every 4 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj only. Neonates: 10mg/kg twice daily. Infants and children <40kg: 25mg/kg twice daily.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Nallpen, Unipen.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling