Generic Name and Formulations:
Primidone 50mg, 250mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MYSOLINE:
Tonic-clonic, focal and psychomotor seizures.
Initially: 100–125mg at bedtime. Increase every 3 days if needed by 100–125mg daily to 3 times daily on day 7. On day 10, increase to 250mg 3 times daily; max 2g daily in divided doses.
<8yrs: initially 50mg at bedtime. On day 4, increase if needed to 50mg twice daily. On day 7, to 100mg twice daily. On day 10, to 125–250mg 3 times daily. Usual maintenance: 100–250mg 3 times daily or 10–25mg/kg/day in divided doses. ≥8yrs: as adult.
Porphyria. Barbiturate hypersensitivity.
Impaired liver function. Change dose gradually. Monitor blood counts, electrolytes. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated with alcohol and other CNS depressants. Antagonizes oral anticoagulants and contraceptives, steroids, Vit. K and D, griseofulvin, doxycycline. Variable effects with phenytoin, valproic acid, divalproex. Potentiated by MAOIs. Antagonizes tricyclic antidepressants.
Drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, nystagmus, neonatal hemorrhage and withdrawal, nausea, vomiting, rash, megaloblastic anemia sensitive to folic acid, emotional disorders, impotence.
Tabs 50mg—100, 500; 250mg—100, 1000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders