Generic Name and Formulations:
Brimonidine tartrate 0.33%; topical gel; contains propylene glycol.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for MIRVASO:
Persistent (nontransient) facial erythema of rosacea.
≥18yrs: apply a pea-sized amount once daily to each of the five areas of the face (forehead, chin, nose, each cheek); spread gel smoothly and evenly in a thin layer. Wash hands after use.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for oral, ophthalmic, or intravaginal use. Avoid eyes, lips, irritated skin, or open wounds. Depression. Cerebral or coronary insufficiency. Raynaud's phenomenon. Orthostatic hypotension. Thrombangiitis obliterans. Scleroderma. Sjögrens syndrome. Severe or unstable cardiovascular disease. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with beta-blockers, other antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides. Consider possibility of additive effects with CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, opiates, sedatives, anesthetics). Concomitant MAOIs may affect the metabolism and uptake of circulating amines; caution.
Erythema, flushing, burning sensation, contact dermatitis; systemic adverse reactions (eg, bradycardia, hypotension, dizziness), local vasomotor reactions (eg, pallor and excessive whitening, hypersensitivity [discontinue if significant]).
Gel—30g (tube or pump), 45g (tube)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation