Generic Name and Formulations:
Carbachol 0.01%; per mL; soln for intraocular inj.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for MIOSTAT:
To obtain miosis during eye surgery. To reduce the intensity of intraocular pressure elevation in the first 24 hours after cataract surgery.
See full labeling. Withdraw contents into a dry sterile syringe and replace the needle with an atraumatic cannula prior to intraocular instillation. Gently instill no more than ½ mL into the anterior chamber; may be instilled before or after securing sutures. Usually within 2–5 mins after application for maximal miosis effects.
For single-dose intraocular use only. Acute cardiac failure. Bronchial asthma. Peptic ulcer. Hyperthyroidism. GI spasm. Urinary tract obstruction. Parkinson's disease. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Corneal clouding, persistent bullous keratopathy, retinal detachment, postoperative iritis; flushing, sweating, epigastric distress, abdominal cramps, tightness in urinary bladder, headache.
Single-use vial (1.5mL)—12
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition